Healthy buffalo chicken meatballs (no bread crumbs, and you’d never know) packed with flavor, fiber, and protein – baked and air fryer method included!
These healthy buffalo chicken meatballs are great for football season, or really any party/ get together! My husband and I eat them as a meal, and they’re so satisfying! They have the perfect amount of heat. Add some crumbled blue cheese or gorgonzola on top. Then drizzle some ranch, the rich, creamy flavors just make it all come together so nicely. I’m drooling just thinking about them.
I don’t really use breadcrumbs in a lot of my meatball recipes – instead I use ground flax-meal! It’s the perfect healthy substitute. It makes them gluten-free, and adds a ton of fiber! Flax is one of the best healthy fats, it’s also packed with omega-3. Another plus, it can help lower cholesterol. It’s a great super-food. You can ground your own flax-seeds in a blender, but I buy a bag of pre-ground flax meal. They have it at Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods/most grocery stores sells Bob’s Red Mill brand. Both are great! Just make sure to season the flax-meal to give it some flavor.
I love making baked or air fried meatballs. First of all, they come out healthier. Second of all, it’s so easy. You throw the meatballs together then toss them in the oven to bake (or air fryer) – it really doesn’t get any more low maintenance. Two of my other favorite meatball recipes: orange chicken meatballs and spicy BBQ Asian meatballs.
Ever since I got my air fryer (my digital air fryer is linked here!) I’ve been making these meatballs in there. They come out SO good. They stay extra round and puffy. Also, I love how quickly things cook in my air fryer. I’m impatient when food is cooking so this sure does help. I definitely recommend this method if you have an air fryer. If not, baking them is still a great option.
Really into everything buffalo flavored at the moment. Another favorite buffalo flavor I have on here are these air fried buffalo fries! Another great game day recipe that’s quick and easy to whip up. Also, can’t forget good ol’ fashioned buffalo wings. My recipe calls for making them in the oven, they come out so crispy!
Healthy Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- Yield: 22 meatballs (depends on size you make them) 1x
- 1 lb. lean ground chicken
- 1 egg
- 5 tbsp flaxmeal
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp+ 1 tsp hot sauce (I used Frank’s Red Hot)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil mayo (I use Chosen Food’s brand)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- green onion for garnish (chopped)
- crumbled blue cheese or gorgonzola for topping (optional)
- drizzled ranch for topping (optional)
- 1/2 cup Frank’s red hot
- 2 tbsp avocado oil mayo
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a bowl combine ground chicken, egg, flaxmeal, garlic, 1/4 cup frank’s red hot, avocado oil mayo, salt, onion powder, and oregano.
- Using a cookie scoop or by hand (cookie scoop is much easier! – highly recommend) mold the mixture into balls. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper – or a cast iron skillet would also work.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes – or until cooked through.
- While meatballs are baking, make your buffalo sauce by combining 1/2 cup frank’s red hot, 2 tbsp avocado oil mayo and paprika in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
- Let the sauce simmer for about 10-12 minutes – whisking occasionally.
- Drizzle sauce over meatballs and garnish with chopped green onion and crumbled blue cheese and drizzled ranch if desired – enjoy!
*Air fryer method –
- Spray air fryer basket with non stick cooking spray and place 10 uncooked meatballs in the basket (you’ll probably have to cook them in batches.
- Lightly spray meatballs and cook at 400 degrees F for 12 minutes. Check on them and take them out if they look done, if not cook 2-3 more minutes!
- Repeat with the rest of the meatballs and coat in the buffalo sauce.
MMMM REALLY CANT WAIT TO TRY THIS OUT!
they were SO delicious!
Love this recipe! My mouth is watering right now!!
Thank you! They’re my new favorite!!
10/10 would recommend. These are Now on my weekly Rotation because They are so, so good.