The most refreshing and delicious summertime cocktail, spicy watermelon margaritas! Made with “better for you” ingredients.
This is what I call the perfect summer margarita. These could be dangerous. The best part – super minimal ingredients. No funky margarita mix loaded with unnecessary ingredients. Just the good stuff!
All you need for these margaritas:
Cointreau (this is optional)
A mesh strainer (mine came as a set of two for 8$ from World Market)
A muddler or wooden spoon
I love the taste of fresh watermelon juice. Trader Joe’s sells fresh watermelon juice in the summer. You can buy this instead of making your own. If watermelon is out of season, feel free to use watermelon flavored sparkling water instead of watermelon juice. I love Waterloo and Aha brand!
I’m all about living a healthy lifestyle, but one thing I will not skip out on are my drinks! When the weekend comes, my husband and I like to kick back and have a few. Living in Texas really got me hooked on margaritas, especially spicy ones. If you’re not into spicy, try these strawberry basil margaritas. I can’t wait to make these all summer and sit by the pool.
I hope you enjoy these spicy watermelon margaritas as much as I do!Print
1 & 1/2 cups fresh watermelon juice, blend fresh watermelon and then strain with mesh strainer it to make watermelon juice
2 limes, juiced
1 jalapeno, seeds removed and thinly sliced
2 oz. Cointreau, optional
1/2 cup tequilla, or to taste – I thought this was a good amount personally!
frozen watermelon cubes as ice cubes, totally optional but very fun!
chili powder and sea salt as a rim, optional
- If you’re doing a chili powder/salt rim to your glasses, do that first! I rub a lime on the glass then gently dip it in a plate with chili powder and sea salt to do this.
- Muddle 2 jalapeño slices in each glass, or more/less to taste.
- Add regular ice cubes or watermelon ice cubes to glasses.
- Once watermelon is blended and strained add it to a shaker with the fresh lime juice and tequila. As well as Cointreau if you’re using it.
- Shake to mix and pour into the glasses.
- Garnish with a thin slice of jalapeno like shown in the picture.
*I prefer using fresh watermelon juice but if watermelon is out of season you can use sparkling watermelon water. I love Waterloo & Aha brand!
*Trader Joe’s sells fresh watermelon juice seasonally in the Summer!